Sunday, August 4, 2013

Mentor Text - Ruth Heller!

Whimsical, lyrical, poetic and beautiful are all words that describe Ruth Heller's series of World of Language. I'm excited to share this series of books for this week's mentor text linky with  Collaboration Cuties , Stacia and Amanda!


 Ruth Heller has 8 books in her World of Language series. These books are a great introduction or review of the various parts of speech. Each book defines the part of speech and also provides numerous examples. Ruth Heller has a poetic and whimsical type of writing that engages students. The vibrant pictures draw students in to the story.

Books in the series:
Behind the Mask - A Book About Prepositions
Merry-Go-Round - A Book about Nouns
A Cache of Jewels and Other Collective Nouns
Mine, All Mine-A Book about Pronouns
Fantastic! Wow! And Unreal - A Book about Interjections and Conjunctions
Kites Sail High - A Book about Verbs
Many Luscious Lollipops - A Book about Adjectives (My very first book in the series!)
Up, Up, and Away - A Book about Adverbs


This is a great app to go along with the series. It is much like refrigerator magnets, only better!

Description:ReadWriteThink's Word Mover app is used to reinforce concepts taught in class.Word Mover allows children and teens to create "found poetry" by choosing from word banks and existing famous work; additionally, users can add new words to create a piece of poetry by moving/manipulating the text.

Features: 6 poem categories12 backgrounds for stylish poemsAuto-saving (Love this!)*Save poem to photos*Print to wireless printer*Send poem by e-mailPrivacy: Poems or private unless you decide to share by e-mail
Here are a few screen shots to give you an idea of what it is like! All you social studies people ... wait until you see the last screen shot!



How cool is this? They even have the words to famous speeches for students to use in their own writing pieces!

Happy Sunday!

7 comments:

  1. I use those books with my kids. Some of it is a little advanced for them, but they do enjoy them. Thanks for sharing the app. I will have to check it out!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing about Word Mover! I hadn't heard of that and I'm always looking for some way to make grammar a little less boring!
    Enjoy your day!
    Michele
    Coffee Cups and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Wonderful suggestion. :) I was not familiar with this app but I love Ruth Heller books.
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is really neat! I will have to check this app out, especially since we are starting with poetry! I love the Ruth Heller books as well! :O)

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Ruth Heller's books. It's always nice when you find a way to inject some fun into grammar. Thank you for sharing the app. I have it pinned, and I will be checking it out, for sure.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the useful information - I also will have to check this app out! While I'm here, I'm signing on to follow you via BlogLovin. :) ~Deb
    Crafting Connections

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have only used two of those books - thanks for listing all of the titles. I also have never used Word Mover so thank you for that too - have to go pin this information for later use :)

    ReplyDelete